December 16, 2012

Connecticut

There are not many people that I would, without hesitation, take a bullet for  (aside from the obvious family and close friends). But, there are 141 lives that I would have no choice but to protect - my students.

In the wake of the Connecticut tragedies, which happened just over an hour from my home, it had me thinking - could I take a bullet for my students, just like those brave teachers and faculty did? I never thought about it until now, that as part of my job description not listed in the fine print, is to protect each and every one of their precious little lives.

Which reminds me of one scary night I had on the AT, just before I thru hiked. Rocket and I did an overnight, out-and-back hike; it was the week between Christmas and New Years, and, though there was snow on the ground, it was an unseasonably warm night. We were up late into the night chatting in the shelter, giggling like 5 year olds. Without warning, someone popped out in the front of the shelter, shined a light on us, and disappeared swiftly into the night. We never saw the person behind the light, never heard the crunch of snow underfoot, and never saw foot prints the next day. My reaction was to play dead (as per the dumb advice of Rocket) and immediately I buried my head into her shoulder and pretended nothing was happening. My heart raced like a greyhound chasing a fake bunny. To this day, we cannot explain the weird incident.

You're wondering why I'm meshing 2 unrelated things. My point in telling that story is, my typical reaction is to freeze in fear. If ever faced with what those poor Connecticut people endured, I know whole-heartedly I would push fear aside and face up to whatever I had to, to protect those lives. I hope I never, ever, have to face death within the 4 walls of a school, but I know I wouldn't give it a second thought. The children come first.

You're also wondering how this is related to cycling or adventure.

I learned a new acronym recently - YOLO - you only live once. Who knows what life has in store for any of us, so stop dying and start living.


true story

No comments:

Post a Comment